I saw this pattern from Abby Glassenberg a few weeks ago and it was just too cute to pass up. I haven’t sewn in months but had to pull the sewing machine out to hem a pair of pants. Since I went through that effort, I couldn’t resist creating this quick little plush kitty. I used a super-soft minky cuddle fleece for the body and a cotton fabric pattern for the ears. I pointed the ears a bit and added a tail.
This is a blog that I put together to record all the creative projects that I attempt. I started sewing in order to make stuffed toys my daughter wanted, that weren't sold in stores. I found that sewing was relaxing and I kept going from there. I started sewing in July 2011.
This is a plush ram that I created based on Abby Glassenberg’s pattern from her new book, Stuffed Animals. I modified the fabric choice slightly. This was my first four-legged, free-standing plush animal and definitely a challenge. The slippery minky fleece, combined with the thin cotton fabric didn’t make my job any easier
The second plush I ever sewed was Purple Little Bird. I was never truly happy with it. I wanted it to be 3D, but couldn’t figure it out. Over the past 2 years I learned a lot so when my daughter asked me to make a girlfriend for PLB, I couldn’t wait to try again. I am so happy with the final result. I really wanted this bird to stand so I used wire for the base of the legs. I then wrapped them in torn fabric until they were soft enough for cuddling.
I credit Abby Glassenberg for her informative blog, book and advice, which have taught me some interesting techniques.
This was a Valentine’s Day present for my daughter.
A 4″ high plush owl. I wanted to play around with some of the cotton fabric I had. He is cuter in person.
I wanted to create something small and cute, about 4″ high. After I finished, my daughter and I decided he needed a carrot. I didn’t want the carrot to get lost or attached with itchy velcro, so i created a little holder on its back. He also has a fluffy tail.
This cute little guy is a result of my first attempt at the pumpkin (right below). I didn’t have enough segments to make him circular enough. Since his body was already sewed, I stuffed him and experimented with adding furry hair. My daughter actually likes him more than the pumpkin.
I wanted to make a pumpkin that was better than last year’s. I didn’t have orange fabric, so I dyed some. Through this first-time dying experience, I learned that not all fabric is dyeable. This rigid, cotton was the only fabric that worked. Even so, I loved the way it came out.
A plush ghost just in time for Halloween.